We won’t be able to celebrate Christmas or New Year’s Day as we usually do. No big parties, we stay in our family bubbles. But we must not get depressed! COVID-19 won’t kill the magic of the holidays!
Let’s thumb our noses at it and raise our glasses to our resilience and to better days, hopefully soon!
And since we have time, let’s take some to prepare some original and delicious cocktails.
Here are a few suggestions…
1.The Grumpy Cocktail
Because 2020 has been a year of change…
- 2 cans (12 ounces) frozen limettea concentrate, thawed
- 2 cups (500 ml) Gatorade-style sports drink, lemon-lime flavour, chilled
- 1 cup (250 ml) light rum
- 2 cans (12 ounces) lemon-lime soda, refrigerated
- Mix the lime concentrate, Gatorade and rum in a large pitcher. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Just before serving, pour the punch into the punch bowl. Add soda.
A fizzy drink, to be made also in a non-alcoholic version for children.
- 2 ½ (625 ml) cups orange juice, chilled
- 2 ½ (635 ml) cups cranberry juice, refrigerated
- 2 cups (500 ml) ginger ale, 7UP or Sprite, refrigerated
- 2 cups (500 ml) vodka (refrigerated)
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) maraschino cherry juice, refrigerated
- The juice of one large lemon (about 1/4 cup – 65 ml)
- In a large pitcher or punch bowl, combine all ingredients and mix well.
- Serve on ice and garnish with cranberries or maraschino cherries and a sprig of rosemary.
For the non-alcoholic version, simply do not add vodka.
A delight for mint chocolate lovers!
Ingredients (for one glass):
- 1 ounce (30 ml) mint cream
- 1 ounce (30 ml) of cocoa cream
- 1 1/2 cups (375 g) vanilla ice cream
- Mix the ingredients in a blender until a milkshake consistency is obtained.
- Pour into a glass and garnish with chocolate syrup, whipped cream and chocolate shavings, if desired.
Good in the evening… or in the morning! Because it’s Christmas!
- 1/2 ounce (15 ml) Vodka Cake
- 1/2 ounce (15 ml) Amaretto
- 1/2 ounce (15 ml) Baileys Irish Cream
- Chocolate syrup
- Coffee ice cubes
- Pour the chocolate syrup, Bailey’s vodka, and Amaretto into a glass.
- Place the coffee ice cubes and garnish with whipped cream and a cherry.
5.Scooters with sugar cookies
Dessert for adults!
- 4 envelopes of unflavored Knox type gelatine
- 2 cups (500 ml) of water
- 4-5 large ice cubes
- 1 cup (250 ml) Bailey’s
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) butterscotch schnaps
- 1/4 cup (65 ml) Triple Sec
- 12 x 2.25 oz. plastic (or glass) cups with lids
- Whipped cream
- Candy flakes
- In a large thick-bottomed saucepan, bring the water to the boil and remove from the heat.
- Sprinkle Knox gelatine over the water and let stand for 2 minutes.
- Whisk the gelatin in the water until it dissolves, about 5 minutes.
- Add the ice cubes and stir until they melt in the water.
- Add Bailey’s, Toffee Schnap’s and Triple Sec and whisk to combine.
- Pour the mixture into the shot glasses, filling them about 3/4 full.
- Place glasses on a plate or tray and refrigerate overnight.
- After about 3 hours, place the lids on the shooters until ready to serve.
- At serving time, remove the lids from the cups, add the whipped cream and candy flakes.